Vent flashing leaking in.

Old 09-25-05, 09:05 AM
Mikee123
Visiting Guest
Vent flashing leaking in.

My static vent is leaking into my house I tried puting plastic cement around the shingles where they are close to the vent tunnel.. put new drywall up; then it leaked again. Cut out the wet drywall(ceiling), and found that the shingles left under the flashing, was dripping. Do i have to remove the vent, the shingles, put more plastic cement? Lost.

Old 09-26-05, 05:57 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking

well iam no roofer but since no one eles want to give it a shout i will what id do is take flashing up so you can get under the singles and retar all around the vent pipe makeing a good seal . then put flashing back over it and seal it as well over it .

Old 09-26-05, 06:27 PM
Mikee123
Visiting Guest
Thank you

That is exactly what I did today. One small minor detail was when the put the vent on, they didn't center it over the hole. It was off about two inches. Consequently, the bottom portion of the flashing/shingles that were over the cut out 14" x 14" hole, had no where to grip. All the nails on the bottom part were just sticking through/protruding down into air. I installed a cross brace and a plywood shim at the bottom of the hole, providing somewhere for the flashing and shingles to grip (at least their nails). Thank you for your response. Of course, prior to installing new nails, I did raise the lower portion of the flashing and applied a lot of roofing plastic cement. Then I nailed it down. Then I applied another layer of roofing cement over the nails.

Now the fun part. Puting new sheet rock and playing my hand at joining sheet rock that is not indented, and then pray for a smooth joint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: