need new roof

Old 09-27-05, 03:55 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry need new roof

recently my roof was damaged by katrina and I need to replace it. problem: I spoke to two different roofers but to me it seems as though they use different material.
One stated that he will use 30 pound felt and install 26 gauge galvanized iron one eaves. The second one said that he will use 33 pound felt and install 25 gauge galvanized iron on the eaves.

I need to know if there is much difference and if so which one is better to use and if the price of the felt and galvanized iron cost about the same wheater it is 25 or 26 and if the 30 pound felt and 33 pound felt is about the same . What I need to know is is what I should let them use as I ive in Fla and we seem to have a hurricane weekly and I need not make a mistake by allowing myself to get caught with material that will not stand up. they both will use 3-tab shingles.

will appreciate any help that I can get with my problem as I don't know what to do. thanks

Old 09-28-05, 01:41 AM
New Roof

I would say from what you said that they are both using the same material, just different brands. The difference in felt is undetectable. The same for the metal. In the metal you are talking about 1/1000 of an inch incriments.
either will be fine. Good Luck

Old 09-28-05, 11:01 AM
G
thanks so much for the information. but what kind of worried me was the fact that one gave me a price of $6,744.00 and the second one gave me an estimate of $4,800. which is about $2,056 less than the first estimate.

also I do not have any venilation in my attic, and when I do get my roof fixed I would like to put some type of venilation in my roof without cutting a hole in my roof. any suggestions as to the best type of ventilations I should use as it is so hot in
florida and I know I need some venilation in my attic. thanks

Old 09-28-05, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roofing & Waterproofing > need new roof

I would thoroughly check out the low bidder. There is probably not that much "fat" in a job of that size. One contractor could be preying on the storm emotions and demands or the other contractor could hope for a payement up front and not perform. Both sutuations could exist, so check out everything including licenses and don't pay up front. It is unfortunate that these storms knock everything out of reason.

Dick

Old 09-28-05, 11:32 AM
G
Question

thanks so much for the advice and I will try to check them both out if I can.
since there is so much business in the roofing right know there is so much scam going on and a lot of the roofers want half of the money up front but so far I have refused to pay it up front.I will continue trying to get an honest roofer and try to make sense out of this whole business.

Old 09-28-05, 07:56 PM
Need New Roof

Gary:
Whoa there. You just sent up all the red flags that roofers look for. You said scams and not wanting to pay half up front. Not many roofers will ever want to work for you or do work for you. Yes there are scams, but usually by the home owner. What you say ? Oh yes. Contractor pays for all the materials himself, puts our the labor and puts a new roof on the house, and gets paid with either a bum check, or can I pay you in payments, or my credit cards are full, can you wait a week, or just not pay. It is the home owners who scam, not the roofing contractors. Without the materials paid for up front by the homeowner I would not even consider the job. Now, there are things you can do. Most contractors will let you go with them and when they pick up the material, you pay for it. Or you can give them one half up front. This is normal operating procedure. The area you are in, will have roofers from all over the country there for 2 to 3 years just putting on new roofs. So, how long do you want to wait. These roofers usually meet every morning for coffee. Yes, they talk about customers, and tip off the other roofers of customers who could be problems. It will not take long before you are secretly black listed. I am telling you this, in order to help you. You have to show good faith, and good faith is with money or materials.

Good Luck

Old 09-29-05, 04:49 PM
Jack is right, nobody is going to do the work without money down. Don't think for a second they will even order the product without a down payment. A good friend of mine has been stiffed a bunch of times even with money down on excavation jobs. Ever think the one guy threw the much higher bid in because he didn't want the job? I've done that in the past..

Old 10-02-05, 09:36 PM
G
Jack, I appreciate your comments and believe me it is not always the homeowner that stiff the roofers. I guess you have not heard of how many homeowners have been stiffed. I am speaking for myself now. I have never had anyone do any work on my house that I did not pay,no one have ever been stiffed by me. ok, I will take your advice and pay up front if I have to do that since that is the rule of the trade. And as far as the guy that gave me the high bid,well he did not do that because he did not want the job,as he has called me back and wants to know if I still wanted the work done.

I believe he is honest but is way overpriced but he seems more stable than some I have talked with even though he is $2,400 higher. Can you explain that to me and like I said before it's not that he does not want the job because he called me back,I did not call him. I guess things have changed a lot since I had my roof replaced. I paid half when they tore the roof off and put the paper on and the other half when they finished. Paid everything in full with a cashier check.

Old 10-02-05, 10:26 PM
New Roof

I don't know why he is $2400 higher. You might try this. Call him back, and say you got his message about still wanting to do the job. And, you would like to have him do it, but ask him if he realizes that he is $2400 more then you other bids. Then see what he says. Maybe there is a good reason. Maybe those are just his rates. Now if he does not have a logical reason, Then say why is that when all are using the same materials. Tell him you only have so much money, and ask if he would like to revise his estimate. Now, here is the catch. If he says NO and he is sticking with his original estimate, then hes got you. but, since he did call you back, my guess is he will come down or MAY come down a little. And if he does, even if its only $100, then you have to be ready to tell him to get to work. Good LUck
PS Maybe the guy is like me, and worth every penny of it.

Old 10-04-05, 09:54 AM
G
Jack, once again thanks for the advice. I did call the contractor back and told him that his price was $2,400 higher than another quote that I got from someone else., and if he could possibly see it in his budget to lower the price a little. He has said with the cost of gas and everything else he could not lower his price and I only have 5 days left to accept his offer as gas prices are steady climbing and he might have to charge me even more if I don't hurry and make up my mind.

well I know he is right about the gas and he does have his office in a building and has been there for a long time. I talked with someone else that did business with him and they are well pleased with the work. I have someone else coming today and if the price is almost the same I will go with the $6,700
guy. He said he also will pull a permit from the city and have will have to wait on the inspector . well that in itself is important to me.

I just hope that I want be taken advantage of just because I am a woman. I have that to happen to me a couple of times when I took my car in for repairs

Old 10-04-05, 01:20 PM
New roof

Yes, he is probably right. At least he is looking after his bottom line. Many do not. You never know, the others may have said they found something and their price would go up after the roof is on. Remember, an estimate is an estimate, not a final bill. I have trouble with that all the time. That is why he is putting a time limit on the job. That is what I do. Yes, if he will get the permit and handle the Inspection, that is worth a whole bunch. The only way you will be taken advantage of because you are a women, is because you let it happen. Time to Cowboy Up Girl.

Old 10-04-05, 05:51 PM
S
Have had 3 roofs replaced on three different homes in past 5 yrs and none of the roofers requesting money up front. If they are a small or fly by night operation then they might and I would not give it to them. Any decent roofing company will do the work with payment upon completion by either you or your insurance. If not they know the process of filing a builders lien of your home. This may just be the way its done in Louisiana though.

Old 10-04-05, 07:41 PM
G
Slidell,You said to me that that's the way they do it in Louisiana,wait until the job is finished before paying any money. You see, I live in South Florida
and have talked to others roofers and they all seem to ask to the same up front payment and I am at the point that I must concede as time is running out on me. We are getting rain every day and expecting a downpour this weekend and I'm told the longer I keep waiting my roof could be getting in worse shape.

I have no choice now so,I am going to pay the money and try to get my roof fixed. As it stands now I have waited to long and the stormy rain is upon me again. There is so much roofing work in South Florida this time of year that all of the roofers can just about name their price and get it too. I tried holding out but I am the one that getting a butt kicking with all this rain. So you see I don't have much of a choice. But thanks so much for caring and for your advice.

Old 10-06-05, 10:50 AM
C
As a fellow south Floridian, I can tell gary5 that the price he is being quoted, both of 'em, seem quite good to me. I, too, suffered roof damage from Katrina. And like any wise consumer, I have shopped for the services of a qualified company to do the job. I did my research and contacted four reputable and established roofing companies. The quotes are all in the $8,500 range for a three tab roof, and around $10K for architectural shingles. I'm not sure of the square footage of my roof, but if it helps my house is around 1,500 sf. And, like you, I also need to have some type of venting installed because the original builder never vented the attic for some reason!
Finally, all four companies require 50% down upon acceptance of their bid, 25% at the midpoint of the job, and the balance upon completion. This is the norm in our area. I have no problem with this. Just be sure you know who you are dealing with.

Old 10-06-05, 03:33 PM
I did rough estimates for the costs you were quoted for your Florida house. I came up in the same area for approximately 1500 sq. ft. Yes, it sounds like you had a good roofing job. Thanks for your input.

Old 10-10-05, 09:22 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
Wow, a $1,500 upgrade from three tabs ot laminate shingles!!!

At my lumber yard a Landmark 30 is $45 per square and a XT25 is $38 per square and a XT30 is $42 per square. For my new construction homes I charge an extra $5 per square to lay down laminate shingles.

My last tear off I tried to compete with a low baller and even though I got the job by overbidding by $1,000 it was still the lowest profit on a tear off this year. After this tear off I will no longer waste my time with low ballers or homeoweners looking for the lowest bid.

I bid on a 20sq 8/12 tear off with two wall dormers with windows on each side four layers of asphalt shingles, one layer of shakes and redeck. The homemowner had stacks of bids that ranged from $7,800 to $18,000. I got the job by bidding at $11,000.

Most people will say to get three bids and toss out the high and low bid and go with the middle bid.

I would never and have never started a tear off before the homeowner pays for the materials. I don't care if I've got $20,000 clear in the bank it's a bad idea. If the homeowner can't come up with half the money up front it's not looking good for payment when the job is done.

So far in 10 year as a roofing contractor I've been stiffed twice, first by a homweowner on a tear off second by a builder both are convicted fellons.

Old 10-10-05, 10:39 PM
Venting...

Didn't see a response to this amidst the cost estimating, but I'd go with a continuous ridge vent - like a Cobra vent. Good ventilation and a nice clean look without the eventual rusty turbine on the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: