You're my last hope

Old 09-27-05, 10:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You're my last hope

Ever since I moved into a brand new house 20 years ago, I have had water leak into my attached garage whenever there is rain from the north. Its a 2 story split with an upstairs bedroom overhanging into the garage about 3 feet. Water leaks out of this overhang. The builder tried to find the leak with a hose but it never worked. They re-caulked the bedroom windows and I re-caulked them myself every 2 years and have run the sprinkler against them for 2 hours with no leaks apearing. Last year after a rain, I pulled the window molding off and found water in the wall soaking the insulation. I can't find this leak! I have caulked and tarred everythign on the north side of the house yet I keep getting a leak.
Any ideas?

Old 09-27-05, 10:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
What kind of siding? Is there an overhang? Does the gable end of the roof have metal d-style drip edge installed? Can you take a picture of the area and post the link?

Old 09-27-05, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper
What kind of siding? Is there an overhang? Does the gable end of the roof have metal d-style drip edge installed? Can you take a picture of the area and post the link?
Thanks for the reply. I'll get back to you on the picture, hopefully tomorrow.

Good questions. Its stucco siding, yes there is a metal overhang on the house roof of about 2 feet with metal soffits and facia. I will climb up on roof tomorrow to see ifthere is a metal drip edge. Will I be able to tell by looking? Now I'm really curious cause I think I see where you are going with this.

PS, I have never tried running the hose on the roof over the windows.

Old 09-28-05, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
I would remove the casing (interior window trim) from the window, and remove any insulation that has been wet in the past. Then run the hose on the siding above the window. Hopefully you won't see any water intrusion, because as you said, you've caulked all around the windows.

Where I'm going with this is, you could easily have water somehow getting into the soffits and running back toward the house. It could be that you have fascia cover lapped the wrong way. It could be that either NO drip edge, or shingles cut short of the drip edge are allowing water to run inside the fascia cover, where it then gets into the soffit, and could run back toward the house. It's just a guess, but I'd say that your water is coming in where the stucco meets the soffit, or somewhere above that.

Old 09-28-05, 10:16 PM
Thanks xsleeper,

I havent' had time to check that yet but I'm thinking you have put me on the right track. I'll let you know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: