I am repairing a soffit

Old 09-28-05, 01:50 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am repairing a soffit

I was looking through this website on anything about soffit repair/replacement and havent found anything. Anyone know if there is a section dedicated to soffits? I am looking to replace an 8' by2.5' piece of soffit. it was damage by water. Ill be using plywood(I think its 3/8in.) It doesnt seem to hard. I plan on cutting out the existing soffit without removing the gutters or fascia and replacing the plywood. There is also a vent in this section of the soffit I will replace. I would consider myself a low intermediate as far as carpentry skills go. Any helpful tips or suggestions? All comments greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-28-05, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Take off the vent cover and determine the correct thickness of plywood- it's *very* important to get the right thickness. When you purchase replacement plywood, be sure you get "AC" plywood, which is the correct grade for use on soffits that will be painted.

If your soffit has a 3/4 round moulding where it meets the house, you might want to see if this can be removed without breaking it. If it breaks, you'll want to buy that too.

Some soffit fits into a dado in the fascia. You might be able to tell upon close inspection, but you'll know for sure once you tear the old soffit out. Your new soffit will need to fit into this dado again, so measure accordingly. A prybar will help push it into the dado, and the 3/4 round will cover the gap.

If your home doesn't have 3/4 round in back of the soffit (perhaps the back edge of the soffit is covered up by siding), you better hope there is no dado in front.

To remove the soffit, you can use a cat's paw nail extractor. Once you remove a good portion of the nails, you can usually yank the whole piece of soffit down without too much trouble. Compare the old piece with the new one to make sure you get the vent in the right spot.

Old 09-29-05, 05:57 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
THanks. now all I have to do is get to work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: