Leaking Skylight in Attic

Old 09-28-05, 10:30 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking Skylight in Attic

I bought a 2 story home a year ago and it has a skylight in the attic (for what i assume was used as ventilation). After some hard rainy nights a few weeks ago, i noticed water stains on my second floor ceiling. I was able to pinpoint it too the skylight. I called a few roofers for estimates and two came out. The first says i should get rid of the skylight completely (i have no problem with that since we don't use it, and to me its more of a hazard), and put roof vents in (the house has only a vent on each end of the house). He would also redo the roof vent from the second floor bathroom which has also started to leak. He estimated $1500. The second guy said he would just put new flashing around the skylight, the chimney and the bathroom vent and would charge $600 but we would probably have to reseal the area every couple of years for about $200 a pop.
Now the roof is 9years old and i have next to no experience with roofs. Does anyone have an opionion on the better option considering life of roof, and the correct way to fix this? Truthfully if the roof lasts another 10 years and i did the second option it would equal the price of the first so i just don't want my decision to be about the money.

Thanks,
Pat

Old 09-29-05, 02:04 AM
Skylight

Yes you do want to make your decision based on money. You are just not looking at it correctly yet. Your first estimate to remove the skylight is correct. Take it out. Pay the $1500 This is cheap compaired to th the alternative. Now here is how it is. You can flash and seal all you want to, and your skylight will still leak. The reason is that the seal on the skylight is shot. There is a seal on them and they only last about 5 or 6 years and then need replacing. Cost about $400 to replace the seal. Now lets look at the money part. Estimate #2 was $600.00 Subtract this from $1500 and you have $900. But #2 did not replace the seal, so now subtract another $400 for replacing the seal and you now have $500. Average roof life 25 years less 10 years used up leaves 15 years, divided by 2 years per #2 and you have 7.5 years times $200 per #2 contractor is $1500. In addition you will also have to replace the seal 2 more times at the rate of $400 each time which now equals another $800. So Roofer #1 said $1500 and no skylight.
Roofer #2 said $600 + $1500 +$800 for new seals which adds up to $2900.00
This also does not take into account the damage the driping water into your house and ceiling will cause. Roofer #1 is correct and the least costly. It is all about the money. You just have to look at it correctly. Good Luck

Old 09-29-05, 09:04 AM
P
Show me the money!

Thanks a ton... i didn't even know about the seal for the skylight.

Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: