ridge vent installation done correctly?

Old 10-01-05, 06:17 PM
alanb1973
Visiting Guest
ridge vent installation done correctly?

I am in the process of having a new roof put on. As part of this they are installing a ridge vent. I can see that the vent has been installed on the top of the roof from the outside but if I go into the Attic I can see no evidence that there is a vent. From looking at pictures it would seem like I should be able to see this vent from the inside. However I can see no evidence. There is no light coming in, and I can see no evidence that anything has been cut away. Should I be able to see the vent or at least evidence that some of the plywood has been cut away from the peak of the roof. I don’t want to make an issue of it to the roofer if in fact they installed it correctly.

Thank you

Alan

Last edited by alanb1973; 10-02-05 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-01-05, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,917 Upvotes on 1,722 Posts
The only way to tell for sure is to get up in the attic and shine a flashlight up there. You should have a 2" gap at the peak of your roof, one inch on each side of the ridge.

Old 10-02-05, 08:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Xsleeper is assuming you have a truss framed roof, you will have about a 1/2" gap on each side of a traditionally framed roof thats visible on either side of the header.

Old 10-02-05, 12:30 PM
alanb1973
Visiting Guest
Ridge vent installation correct?

Thank you XSleeper and Hellrazor for both of your responses. As for if it is a Truss framed roof I am honestly not sure. The house is a hundred years old if that helps any. There is a long beam (1x6 perhaps) that sits vertically and runs entire length of the roof right at the top (would that be the header?). It is to the right and left of this beam that is at the peak of the roof that it sounds like I should be able to see some of the wood cut away. After a very careful inspection I was able to find three very small openings where I was thinking they should be. However over a 20 foot section I was only able to find three such openings. Each was only about an inch to two long and not wide enough to fit my pinky finger through. I am now thinking that perhaps they cut the ridge but perhaps it was just not large enough to get past that board running the length of the roof. From my rather poor description can you tell if I am remotely on the right path of thinking here? Once again thank you both for your response. I greatly appreciate it.

Alan

Old 10-02-05, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Since your house is so old, it definately does not have trusses... it's stick framed. The board at the peak is called a ridgeboard, not a header, and yes, you're correct that this is where you should be observing the 1" gap for ventilation- it should run the length of the roof, or at least be as long as the ridge venting is. If there is no gap, then you are probably right... *if* they did attempt to cut ventilation, they didn't succeed in opening it up. Hope you can get the problem straightened out with them.

Old 10-03-05, 01:21 PM
alanb1973
Visiting Guest
Thanks XSleeper. With that little bit of information you gave me the confidence and knowledge needed to confront these guys. They admitted it was not right and blamed one of the younger less experienced guys. He said that when he cut it he must not have compensated for the “header”. I thought “ok that is only a 1 inch board how big was his first cut”. Anyway there is about an inch or two cut on each side now. Judging by the time and mess today they must have done nothing the other day. Thanks again for your advice and help.

Alan

Old 10-03-05, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds great. That sort of stuff happens on a jobsite. Contractors don't like people who watch them like a hawk, but it's good that you caught that, so good eye. Glad you were able to get it straightened out without too much of a confrontation. The best contractors are the ones that are humble enough to admit when they've made a mistake and are willing to fix it, no questions asked.

Old 10-04-05, 05:51 AM
dougger
Visiting Guest
For proper ridge vent 3 inches is cut off the decking on the peak, 1.5 inches on each side. All the ridge vent I've used or seen calls for three inches of open space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: