replaceing a Roof vs New Roof

Old 10-03-05, 09:59 AM
newbie617
Visiting Guest
replaceing a Roof vs New Roof

Hello All,

I'm in the process of finding contractors to replacing my rooftop. I have a flat rooftop that is made of tar/gravel about 20 years old. I have been annually maintaining the roof, applying new flash and roofing cement/tar over it. It has not leaked until this year, but that was due to a gutter backup, and I have long flashed that area and no longer leaking. I'm trying to decide if I should install a new rubber roof over the existing roof, or just rip up everything and place a whole new roof. Money is a factor of course, but I'm just wondering if placing a rubber roof over a tar/gravel roof is ok? or I should just go all out and replace it all? FYI, it is a 4 story apartment.

Old 10-04-05, 05:54 AM
dougger
Visiting Guest
Not even sure if it is possible to roof over a gravel roof. With the texture of the gravel it will make for an uneven roof if laid over.

I'd recommend tearing off and putting rubber over the roof deck. It may cost more money but it is the right way to do it.

Old 10-04-05, 04:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will have to tear it off if you want new rubber. Now, if it has been 20 years or close to that, I would take everything down to the roof boards. That way the boards can be inspected. They may be fine, but it is better to be safe. Just my thoughts. A roof is no place to try and save a penny. Everyone thinks about the roof top. I always think about what is under the roof. Water runs downhill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: