strang leak in flat roof

Old 10-07-05, 11:51 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
strang leak in flat roof

I have a flat roof that leaked about 1 cup per rainfall and I have an arrangment with my neighbor to wait until spring to fix it (we do both attached roofs together). I placed a tarp over the whole roof hoping that will hold it until spring except the first rainfall that came it leaked again. The type of leak is a bit curious. It does not leak until 5 or 6 hours into a rain and when it finally does leak it flushes down about 1 cup in 10 sec and then it very slowly drips (4 or 5 drops a min) for a few hours later. The tarp suggests to me it is not coming from my roof and maybe it is leaking in from the neihbors side ( their roof is terrible).

Is it going to be detrimental to my roof deck and joists if I let this thing leak until spring?

Also, the house is well over 100 years old and has never had the roof deck inspected for they just put down tar over tar... Does anyone have any advice for my situation?
thanks

Old 10-08-05, 06:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrtmills
I have a flat roof that leaked about 1 cup per rainfall and I have an arrangment with my neighbor to wait until spring to fix it (we do both attached roofs together). I placed a tarp over the whole roof hoping that will hold it until spring except the first rainfall that came it leaked again. The type of leak is a bit curious. It does not leak until 5 or 6 hours into a rain and when it finally does leak it flushes down about 1 cup in 10 sec and then it very slowly drips (4 or 5 drops a min) for a few hours later. The tarp suggests to me it is not coming from my roof and maybe it is leaking in from the neihbors side ( their roof is terrible).

Is it going to be detrimental to my roof deck and joists if I let this thing leak until spring?

Also, the house is well over 100 years old and has never had the roof deck inspected for they just put down tar over tar... Does anyone have any advice for my situation?
thanks
I am definitely not a pro. However, IMHO speak with your neighbour in order to get his/her agreement to have both roofs inspected & done by professionals at the same time.

Do not wait until spring as more damage to the roof deck(s) and joists can be done. For this reason both roofs should be inspected.

Given the age of the house & the fact that the roof deck has never been inspected it would be wise to investigate the problem now. I would be very concerned about the condition of your neighbour's roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: