basement leak - vinyl flooring

Old 10-08-05, 11:05 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

It has rained about 6-7 inches in the last 2 days. (No this is not New Orleans). We have had water leak into the laundry room of our basement on 3 or 4 other occasions that I have noticed in 8 years, all with very heavy rain, or heavy rain on top of sitting snow.

The driveway which runs along the side of the house at about eye level in the basement. There is a little water (maybe a gallon or two) leaking in at the bottom of the wall. I canít tell exactly how much water as it meanders around and finds it way to the floor drain.

The concrete driveway is angled toward the house and abuts the brick walls of the house. I know that is a problem so before I made sure I caulked along the crack. A couple days before it started to rain we built up a berm along side the house with quick drying concrete to direct the water which runs down the driveway away from the house and into the back yard. And I sealed the berm with caulk at the top just hours before it started to rain. The plan was to seal a two linear feet area along the driveway where it meets the house with concrete sealant so the water wouldnít percolate through, but it started to rain before that could be accomplished.

How does this relate to vinyl flooring? The plan is to put down vinyl flooring in the laundry room. We have had 3 estimates, and one refused to give us an estimate because he thought that there was evidence of water leaking thru the wall and that vinyl tiles were not appropriate, he suggested carpet (!). Currently the floor is tiled with asbestos tiling except where the asbestos tile has come off in the part of the basement where the water is leaking now. We have removed that tile . I didnít know how bad the asbestos tile was because the former owner left a piece of carpet down on top of that part of the floor and I did too because I knew that the tile was in bad shape, but I didnít know that I would be able to pick up 75 ft square of the asbestos tile that wasnít even attached to the floor anymore. The tiler is going to build up the part of the floor which is down to concrete with another layer of vinyl tile to meet the asbestos tile and then tile the entire floor with vinyl tile. So in the area where the asbestos tile came off, there will be two layers of vinyl tile.

As for water proofing, we have extended our downspouts, but we cannot extend our neighbors downspout away from his house (the water from it goes onto our driveway and there is no room on our property to dig a culvert as the driveway is mostly along the property line). We have painted the basement wall with UGL waterproofing paint. Unfortunately, the former owner had painted regular paint (probably latex) on the concrete block and the UGL paint says they canít guarantee anything if it is painted over already painted walls. And put in the berm along the side of the house along the driveway to direct the water away from the house. And we have caulked. It would be thousands of dollars to have a new concrete drive way put in angled the correct way.

Is there anything else we can do? Should we paint the whole driveway with concrete sealant or was the original idea of a 2 foot linear path good enough? Is there something else to do short of a sump pump, remember this is about the 4th or 5th time of leakage is 8 years and only when it floods.

And how well will vinyl tile (the cheap stuff put down with mastic) hold up if there is a leak every year or two if we cannot find a way to fix this problem. Six or seven inches in less than two days and we are still expecting more rain, so this is not normal for the mid-Atlantic. Thank you for your expertise.

Old 10-08-05, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

It is not a DIY solution, but you can look into mudjacking the slab. The process was developed many years ago for this purpose.

Holes (about 2") are drilled into the lower portion of the slab and a thick concrete-like mixture is pumped into the holes to raise and tilt the slab in any direction. By alternating the holes that are pumped, a slab or set of concrete steps can have the slope adjusted. The holes are then patched with concrete and the slab is allowed to cure a short time. Because of the area the concrete is distributed over, the pressures are quite low and the equipment is not too big. I have seen interior projects (concrete slabs) raised successfully.

It is a one or two man job and is surprisingly economical considering the choices. It won't hurt to get a price.

Look in the yellow pages under "mudjacking", "concrete raising" or possibly concrete contractors.

Dick

Old 10-08-05, 01:40 PM
C
mudjacking

I looked at the idea of mudjacking and realized that there are steps to the back and a window well which would cause a problem. I don't think I could stand to walk down steps which were sloping several inches off level. Thank you for your suggestion tho.

Old 10-09-05, 06:54 AM
L
basement leak

well heres a trick you can try cut a grove all around the rooms that lead to a low spot in the low spot make a hole that can hold about 3gl put stone in hole cover back up leave a small spot for water to run into iv seen this down in lots of basement in the north

Old 10-11-05, 05:01 AM
C
do it yourself

Thank you for your suggestion, I don't think that is do it yourself, so I think that may be my best option after the two do-it-yourself things that I have yet to do. 1) repaint the inside wall with UGL again (after scraping)
2) paint the driveway with cement sealer.

I was happy to learn that the 8 inches of rain we got over two days was an all time local record for 2 days of rain. That makes me feel better since I only got a couple of gallons of water. Perhaps the two do-it-yourself things will help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: