ridge vent

Old 10-08-05, 04:39 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ridge vent

Hello Folks, Doing my first roofing job. Can I just lay shingle across the 6 inch gap in the plywood as a ridge vent or do I have to use one of the inserts or the roll of "brillo" I saw at Home Depot??? Also , How many nails should I buy per 100 foot??? Using the coil nails with the Bosch cordless nail gun. Thanks in advance for your help!!!! Eric

Old 10-08-05, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
6 inch gap??? Thats a bit much for a ridge vent. The roll ridge vents that I have used require a 2 1/4" gap (truss, no ridgebeam) or 3 3/4" (with ridgebeam). If you put shingles over your 6 inch gap, how will you have any ridge venting? I'd recommend you purchase a rolled ridge vent and apply your hip and ridge shingles over the top of it. Generally, ridge venting and hip and ridge need to be hand nailed (no gun), because the nails need to be 2" - 3" long.

If for some reason, your coil nailer can shoot long nails, 100' of ridge would take 240 tabs which would equal 80 shingles, or a little over 3 bundles. I'd say this would take 4 or 5 coils of roofing nails.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: