basement leak

Old 10-09-05, 09:45 AM
beams53
Visiting Guest
Unhappy basement leak

After living in my house for 4 years, I put up gutters. Now I have a basement leak. After yeasterdays 2+ inches of rain, the existing crack in my foundation sprung a leak. Should I extend the downspouts? they are about 2-3 feet from the foundation. Or is it just a coincidence and this crack would have sprung a leak eventually? Who do I call to fix it? HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-05, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement leak

When you put up the gutters, you collected the water and forced it down the downspout. This puts a lot of water in one place.

Your extensions are far too short. Eight to 10 feet would be better to keep out out of the hole that was dug for your basement. If you don't like the look of the long extensions, you can buy flexible plastic ones the roll out when it rains - not as effective, but a big improvemnet over short extensions.

If the crack was always there, it probably sprung a leak because of the amount of water on the other side of the wall.

Dick

Old 10-09-05, 03:13 PM
beams53
Visiting Guest
thanks, I'll go to home depot and buy some extensions.

Old 10-09-05, 03:42 PM
As far as the crack goes, how wide is the crack? If its wide, you can fill it with hydraulic cement or use drylok if its a hairline crack.

Old 10-09-05, 05:11 PM
beams53
Visiting Guest
It's bigger than a hairline crack and it is from top to bottom.

Old 10-09-05, 07:15 PM
basement leak

A vertical crack running from top to bottom could be a shrinkage crack. If it is somewhere in the middle 1/3 or 1/4 of the wall it makes it more probable.

If both sides of the crack are flush and the crack has been there since the house was fairly new, I would bet an it being a inactive shrinkage crack.

Shrinkage cracks are common in poured concrete basements and less common in block basements.

It is probably too narrow to use hydraulic cement without some major concrete surgery (pounding & chiseling to make it bigger). Some of the the heavier bodied waterproofing materials like Drylok or Thoroseal can seal crack like this, but it might take 2 coats.

Good luck!!

Dick