Sill Plate Sealant

Old 10-12-05, 05:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Sill Plate Sealant

Just finished new shed and after a couple rains have noticed a place or two where water can seap in. Has anyone used a product called "Great Stuff"? It appears to be a spray in that foams up and becomes solid. The gaps I need to fill are about 1/8 inch at most and wondered if anyone had tried this or should I just use regular caulk? I also read a post where someone use Dri-Lok and wondered if that would work.

Old 10-12-05, 06:28 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,230
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
Sill plates ought to have sill sealer underneath them... polystyrene based rolls are commonly used. If you didn't use that, then the only thing you can do is caulk it. The best place to stop rainwater is on the exterior side of the sill plate, since caulking the interior side will only be trapping water underneath it. I'd use PL Polyurethane Premium construction adhesive. Just don't get it on your fingers. Please don't use Great Stuff, it won't work well for such a small crack, and it doesn't seal out water well at all.
Old 10-13-05, 03:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks XSleeper,

I can't remember the name, but we used a construction glue under the sill that we thought would also be a water barrier but in this spot it is getting through. I will look for the stuff you recommended. I am using DAP Side Winder for caulking the siding. Could I use that or would it not be strong enough?

Thanks again!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: