T Lock roofing install

Old 10-13-05, 03:38 PM
ayotte
Visiting Guest
Angry T Lock roofing install

I had a "250 lb I.K.O. 20 year" T Lock roofing installed in 1991 on a tri level with 4 valleys. The contractor installed over the existing 3 tab roofing with no barrier between the two. The roof started leaking through to the kitchen ceiling in 2003. (Although now I think it was leaking for a long time because I saw a stain on the ceiling before that). I went back to the contractor who told me they didn't do roofs anymore (however, their webpage still advertises that they do). Eventually she sent a worker who checked inside the attic and went up on the roof and did something but told my hubby that he didn't know anything about T Lock roofs so it might leak again. Fast forward, I have a terrible leak that is ruining my kitchen ceiling. I am contracting with a new contractor for a new roof. What I would like is info on how a T Lock roof in 1991 should have been installed because I am considering going to small claims court to get some of my money back. Is it appropriate that it was installed over an existing 3 tab roof? I have been told that at the very least, it should have had some type of barrier between the two roofs but also that the T Lock couldn't seal on an uneven surface. Also, there was no flashing around the chimney and no flashing in two of the four valleys and that is what has been leaking since 2003 or before. When we have a minor rain shower, the water is absorbed by the insulation and when we have a really bad rain storm, the kitchen floor is very wet and the ceiling is threatening to fall down. Now the insulation is so compacted that it doesn't hold any water, the ceiling is badly stained and I have to pay a lot more than 1991 prices to protect our investment. This company is bonded, licensed and insured and I feel they need to be held accountable for faulty workmanship. Any ideas?

Louise

Old 10-14-05, 02:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Louise: I hate to tell you this, but you will lose in court. End of story. Do you know why the shingles were installed over the old ones ? I know why. Because the owner was trying to save a buck and not have the shingles torn off the roof and the job done correctly in the first place. Now your trying to get some money back from 14 years ago. It is not going to happened. You must now pay the price of not having your roof done correctly the first time.
T-Loks are one of the best style of shingles made. It was your choice then, and your choice now. NO roofer wants to install over an old roof. Only a home owner wants to do that. No, there was probably no flashing. You don't put flashing over old flashing. You can't tear out the old flashing because you did not tear out the old roof. In roofing you get what you pay to have done. You pay cheap, you get cheap. Better get a new roof before you have more damage.

Old 10-14-05, 07:30 AM
ayotte
Visiting Guest
T Lock install

You are probably right, Jack but I still think if doing that was a losing proposition, a reputable roofer would have refused to do that and explained why. Especially since they should have examined the roof and known there was light shining thru along the chimney and missing flashing. I have the new roof scheduled with someone who thinks like you do so at least I am having it done correctly this time.

Louise

Old 10-14-05, 11:28 AM
Louise:

Good for you> Keep smiling.

Old 10-14-05, 01:38 PM
D
Wet insulation = mold.

Louise,

"Now the insulation is so compacted that it doesn't hold any water"

I'm concerned about your health. Wet insulation around here (Florida) usually results in mold which can cause serious health problems. Please get it replaced and have your drywall checked out.

Hope I'm just being an alarmist and that everything is all right.

Don

Old 10-15-05, 07:05 PM
ayotte
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Don. I will have someone check into that, too.

Louise

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: