Stain on roof

Old 10-13-05, 03:55 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stain on roof

Like many of the hourses in our area, there are dark stains on the roof. At first I thought it was related to trees, but have since noticed that many of those houses are not even near trees. We did try a product called Jo Max, but it apparently did not help, and then too, I'm not sure if my son carried out the procedure correctly. I'm wondering about the product and what others have successfully used. Thanks, Don

Old 10-14-05, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Never heard of that product. Sorry. This sounds like a test question.

Old 10-24-05, 07:00 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
JoMax is mixed with bleach and water, sprayed on, rinsed off. It is left to set 5 minutes. If stains remain or residue, then repeat application may be necessary. For most effective results instructions for mixing and application are important.

Old 10-24-05, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Stain on roof

The stains could be the residue of dead algae cells.

If it is algae, a strip of zinc at the peaks will help stop future stains. I have heard copper also helps.

Dick

Old 10-24-05, 07:20 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
Another vote for zinc strips at the peaks. May be too late for zinc strips now but if the roof is redone in the future go with algae warrantied shingles and zinc strips.

Recently I did a roof and bid two others in an area of homes all with stains on the n
North sections of roofs. The sold job got 40 year algae warranty shingles with zinc strips along the North sections and the other bids saw the same procedure on the bids.

The lighter the color of shingle the more it will show up. Some of what causes the discoloration on shingles is still unknown.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: