Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Code for felt paper, ice/water shield, drip edge, flashing

Old 10-15-05, 05:35 AM
yfct
Visiting Guest

Hi,

My roof has had serious leaks after being replaced 5 months ago. The roofer claimed he has done everything according to codes. I lift a corner of the shingle just now and noticed that the felt paper ends at the edge of the under layer and there is a big gap from there to the fascia. Also, I don't see ice/water shield nor drip edge as he stated he installed. I would like to get myself educated before speaking with him again. Please help me with the following:

1) Felt paper: where/how much should it cover? How do I know if it's properly installed?

2) The roofer put in writing to install Ice and Water shield where needed as per code. So where is it required/needed? How do I know if it's properly installed. or even there?

3) Same as above, the roofer stated to install drip edge where applicable. So where is drip edge required? and properly installed?

4) The roofer told me (not in writing) that all the flashing would be replaced. But I heard one of his crew said he didn't replace all the flashing. Is this an acceptable practice? Any potential issue with this? What can I look for to determine they are properly installed.

Last but not least, I'm looking to bring in someone to inspect the house to trace down the leak. Where should I look for this person? A roofer, an architect? ...etc

Any input is highly appreciated as I need to get this straigthen up before winter comes. Many many Thanks!

Old 10-15-05, 03:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
To find out what is 'code' you need to call your local municipality and ask.

1. Tarpaper should cover all of the sheathing on the roof.

2. Call code enforcement and ask.

3. Drip edge of some variety should be all the edges of your roof.

4. Flashing inspection is best left for someone who truely understands how it works.

5. Roofer.

Old 10-15-05, 04:53 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
Code for ice and water in MN is 2ft inside the interior wall, I go 6ft on all jobs unless it's a huge overhang. Ice and water shield is also important to have around chimneys, skylights, and plumbing and heating vents and of course in valleys. #15 pound felt is overlaped a minumal two inches and side laped a minumal of 4 inches. The only time I see roofers felting wrong is when they do a whole section of roof verticaly.

Code for drip edge in Minnesota calls for instalation under the ice and water shield onm the eaves and over the felt on the rakes.

The only time I replace flashing is if it's rusty or really bent up. On all tear offs I use ice and water under the flashing.

Was the roofer you used the lowest bid by chance?

Old 10-17-05, 02:52 PM
yfct
Visiting Guest
The roofer I used was not the lowest bid but close enough to the lowest. He came highly recommendated by a co-worker. Unfortunately it didn't work out well for me. I believe he's trying to walk away from this. I found it hard to digest paying someone a few thousand $ to strip and replace a roof that had a one time minor leak to now a new roof with serious leaks yet the roofer is trying to tell me that it's not his fault but the way it is with this house. Any thought on this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: