Leaking skylights

Old 10-15-05, 07:02 AM
bell
Visiting Guest
Leaking skylights

I have 2 skylights that have leaked on and off for 2 years. When they leak I call a roofer who comes over and smears a bunch of tar on top of the skylight and it's good for a year or so. Is this the correct thing to do in this case? We will probably need a new roof in a year or 2. Now I'm wondering if we should get new skylights now! The house is 20 years old and those are the original skylights. Also, can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what it would cost to replace 2 skylights. I live in RI and the house is a cape ann which is similar to a gambrel - slanted partly, not a complete slant. The skylights do open with a handcrank and I would want the same. Is it cheaper for me to purchase the skylights and have someone install them?? Would a roofer do it or someone else? Thanks!

Old 10-21-05, 05:44 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
frist of all the skylight windows have gaskits witch break down and they leak they need changing thats all

Old 10-21-05, 06:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you are thinking of a new roof, I would wait until then and have the roofer install them with the new roof. As far as the roofers repairs, if they stop leaking for a year or so after he seals them, it's probably a roof leak at the junction where they go into the house. Unless he is "smearing a bunch of tar" on the gasket surface.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: