Patio roof leaking in SoCal

Old 10-17-05, 08:31 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patio roof leaking in SoCal

I have just repaired my flat patio roof. It had leaked where the previous owner had a satellite dish put in using lag bolts through the composition shingles. Pretty sure on the puncture from the bolts causing the leak but not sure 100%. Plywood underneath the shingles rotted out. I pulled out the old shingles and tar paper of the area that looked the worse.

There were sheets of plywood under the paper and a small edge portion of one sheet was rotted plus a large portion of two others. I guess I went cheap or something and left the small portion of lightly rotted plywood. Replaced the others. I replaced the tar paper with a more expensive mineral type underlayment that said it was superior to paper. Put on new shingles in the area that I replaced and dabbed clear roof sealant over the roofing nails on the edge. The roofing nails along the edge were there before the repair but no sealant.

Another section of this roof was removed completely before we bought the house. It just rained today and I see water dripping along the joint of where the old rotted wood meets the new. What did I do wrong? How should I fix it?

Old 10-26-05, 06:20 AM
M
sorry

Is this a totally flat roof? No pitch at all? Could it be that the old plywood caved in and created a place for water to pool? If the shingles haven't completely sealed and an overlap in the underlayment is nearby, the system is defeated. Sorry about this, nothing worse than to have all this work put it and then having to tear it down. Roll with the punches

Old 10-26-05, 08:17 AM
M
also

Forgot to say that if this truly is a flat roof, shingles are not the appropriate material. They only work well if you have a 4 (or more) in 12 pitch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: