Leaking concrete deck

Old 10-18-05, 11:45 AM
rayn
Visiting Guest
Leaking concrete deck

I have an upstairs unit (condo) with an outside concrete deck. It seems to be leaking water into the room downstairs adjacent to the deck. Any (economical) recommendations as to what should be done to stop the leaking? Would epoxy/urethane sealer work?

Old 10-18-05, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Leaking concrete deck

Concrete decks do not normally leak. Could the leakage be comming at the connection between the deck and the building?

Is the building wood, concrete or steel?

Do you have a concrete or steel building with the deck an extension of the interior floors? If the deck and floors are at different elevations, you probably do not and the deck is independent of the interior floors.

If the floor slab is continuous with the inside floor, the leakage is probably around the projecting deck (top, sides or BOTTOM).

Without photos or more details it is hard to guess where the leak is and how to stop it.

Dick

Old 10-24-05, 02:05 PM
rayn
Visiting Guest
Leaking concrete deck

Thank you for your response. The building is wood and constructed in 1987. I believe the deck is independent since it appears to be at a slightly lower level than the interior. It is 9ft X 13ft, joined by two adjacent sides. There are cracks in the deck. We have plants and they are watered quite often during the summer. I noticed at that time that when I stepped near one of the larger cracks, that water oozes back up. It is difficult to determine when it leaks since the unit below is my neighbor. But there are two distinct areas of water damage near the one side attached to the deck. It seems this has been going on for about a year. The damaged areas are approx. 6 in. in diameter. And there is nothing under our deck except our neighbors patio. Is it possible the metal shielding underside (forgive my lack of proper terminology) could have deteriorated ? Or if the deck has pulled away? I cannot see that it has.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: