Leaky kitchen roof...temp fix?

Old 10-19-05, 06:50 PM
brc71
Visiting Guest
Leaky kitchen roof...temp fix?

I've got a slightly pitched roof over our kitchen that is an addition to the main house. The roof is rolled asphalt and is at the end of its life, it has developed a leak in a rear corner near where it meets the main house. Compounding the problem is that a downspout from the 2nd story gutter empties right onto this corner. I have sealed all around the side edges and at the flashing where the kitchen meets the main house. What else can I try to get a decent temp fix while I get some estimates to have this replaced. I've not done any roof work before as this is our first home. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-19-05, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,917 Upvotes on 1,722 Posts
There's a product called Geocel Brushable sealant. It's even sold here on the website. (http://doityourself.com/store/geocel.htm)

It's my favorite stuff- clear like silicone, but self-levelling. You can brush it on with a throw-away brush, or just pour it on. Keep in mind it will run like molasses, however. But it might be just the thing for sealing up your leak, since it can get into cracks and seal. Brushing it along your roll roofing laps will also help seal up those nail heads.

For $10-12 bucks a quart, it's a pretty cheap solution, and if it doesn't work, at least it was fun to use!

Additionally, you might want to put an extension of some sort on that downspout to get the water directed away from that problem area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: