Peak Shingle repair job

Old 10-20-05, 09:59 AM
vtdaug
Visiting Guest
Question Peak Shingle repair job

Hello,

I have a roof with a 45 degree pitch where most of the peak shingles have fallen or broken off. The roof is only 16 years old and there is an inch of Cor-a-vent under the peak. The old shingles are 9 inches with an overlap of 3 and broke at the crease. The new shingles are 13 1/4 inches with an overlap of 7.

A few questions:
Will the larger shingles last longer?
How should they be creased so they won't break?
Does the type of nail make a difference (I'm using 2 inch galvanized)?
Is there a treatment after installation to make the new shingles last longer?
An asphalt shingle roof should last about 30 years, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by vtdaug; 10-20-05 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Mark as question and add a thankyou
Old 10-21-05, 07:00 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dont know much about roofs but i do know you need to use roofing nails thats what they are called

Old 10-23-05, 07:04 PM
Labman
Visiting Guest
When you say peak shingles, do you mean the cap shingles that sit flat on the peak usually covering a ridge vent material? if so, they sell them in bundles specifically for that purpose. The amount of reveal is usually dependent on the shingle, as far as nails go, I used nails that came with the cobra ridge vent material. I think they were 2" alum. Not sure if I understan the creasing, If I'm on track with what you mean, the cap shingles are bent over the peak not really creased. Hope this helps. Check out this link:
www.hammerzone.com they have some great how to pictures.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/roof/index.htm

Old 10-23-05, 09:20 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
It sounds like your roof is a 12/12 which is pretty much as steep as they get. It's common for the ridge shingles to crack while being installed in the cold on roofs as steep as yours.

2 inch roofing nails should be fine. On average I'd venture to say asphalt shingles last from 10-20, fiberglass shingles last longer. Asphalt shingles are more prone to curling the corners especially in areas were the water is on them the most (valleys, porches under roofs, etc.).

Are the new shingles you have ridge shingles or regular shingles?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: