Ceiling Cracks After Roof Intstalled

Old 10-22-05, 11:47 AM
BIGJIM05
Visiting Guest

Can you tell me if it is normal for a true plastered ceiling that was not damaged at all to have hair line cracks in them after A roof is torn off and replaced?
I had a complete tear off of 4 layers of paper and rock and the roofer is telling me the cracks are normal because of the excess weight coming off the roof and the plaster shifts.
Is this just something normal or can I recoup some money help from the roofer to repair my ceilings?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-05, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

That roof was there for a long time. You wanted it off quickly to have a new roof installed. When the weight was removed plus the usual movement on the roof for an installation, the hairline cracks appeared. He PROBABLY could have told you that this MIGHT happen, but you would PROBABLY would want the new roof installed quickly anyway. The roofer could not stop the roof from rebounding.

The person at fault might be the person that put on the 3rd or 4th layer over the others.

Things like this happen to old homes when they are remodeled. Fortunately, they are hairline cracks and my be hidden by the next paint job.

Dick

Old 10-22-05, 06:16 PM
The 4 layers of roofing is what caused the problem, not the roofer. Its like setting 400pounds on one particle board table and 100pounds on the other and wondering why the first one collapsed.

Old 10-23-05, 07:01 AM
It is not the roofers fault. The rebounding was a given. Common Sense. You are lucky it was only your plaster. Many times rafters crack when this happens. Call your painter. Good Luck