Leak Around Fireplace

Old 10-22-05, 06:09 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak Around Fireplace

I'm Banging my head against the wall ! ! ! Have a beautiful fieldstone fireplace. I think it was originally on a wall that was once an outside wall - and the people added onto the hose - so there are angles on an adjoining roof going down towards the chimney - but the chimney is on a sortof flat roof. The outside chimney is now encased in brick and there do not apear to be any cracks. Whenever we gat a hard rain I get leaks all down the left side of the fireplace in side the house. I had a new roof put on (flat roof and adkoining roof)and the roofers have been over four or five times to try to find the leaks and can't find where it is coming in. Maybe I have a bad roofing company! I had a mason go up and tak a loo too - and he couldn't find anything. How can I trace this thing and get it fixed??? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-23-05, 08:46 AM
L
just a thought next time it drips if you can get between roof and fire place take a roll of paper towles and touch to roof in house and then see if you get any wet spots . just a thought and rember water can travel so start at high point and work to the low spot

Old 10-23-05, 09:17 AM
B
Thanks for the suggestion lenny - unfortunately that part of the house has a vaulted ceiling so there is no way to get between the fireplace and the roof. That's part of my problem = no way to get in there and see what is goig on from inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: