Mobile Home Additions

Old 10-22-05, 06:57 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Mobile Home Additions

Hi
Hope I can get some help with this question. Is it possible????????
I have a 1979 14 X 80 Shultz Mobile 3-bedbroom, 2-bath which we recently added a galvanized roof over the top of it (country folkes like the sound of the rain). Not a flat roof, it has a small pitch to it. I know that it's kinda late to be thinking of this since a roof has already been added, but I would like to make this mobile home into a double wide. Expanding each room and adding an extra bedroom. Can I keep the same pitch on my roof and have my floors and ceilings even with the old part? or should I say that, can I extend the center of the roof out to cover new addition and keep the same pitch. Trying to not lose roofing material already in place. I don't like the step-up or step-down thing for added additions. Any ideas or web links on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I am in dire need for a bigger place, but can not afford a new home.
Thanks
Waiting to hear from you
Have a great day!

Old 10-23-05, 06:35 AM
A
The first things...

The first things that need consideration are the foundation & roof support where you tear down walls.

Old 10-23-05, 09:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I have built several MH additions. The MH/house I live in has additions [some is porch] on both sides with a block foundation and a roof over the entire structure. Was 12x60 now 27x60.

The reason most additions have a step down is it both make its easier to add while living in the MH [no worry of getting the floors even with MH] and also it helps to lower the peak of the roof.

The addition will need an adequate foundation. Most of the weight of the roof can be borne by the addition [if properly engineered], however there will be some additional weight borne by the MH.

Old 10-23-05, 10:07 PM
P
Mobile Home Addition

Thanks for the info
How do I go about getting a material list for this 14 X 80- framing only or how do I figure this up (material wise and cost wise).
Very excited about getting started.
I think that if I can buy some of the materials a little at a time that would be fine.

Thanks

Old 10-24-05, 06:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Some lumber yards will help you make up a material list. IMO it is best to sit down with pencil and paper, draw up your plans and figure out what you will need. This will also help you to get an idea as to what the cost will be. If money is short [when isn't it ] you can frame up the exterior and roof and wait and recoup before starting inside. Don't forget to check on necesarry permits and inspections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: