Help locating Leak

Old 10-23-05, 04:58 PM
Labman
Visiting Guest
Help locating Leak

I have a house right on the ocean, and when the wind and rain get going, it comes in sideways. I have a leak above the back door that I can't find the source. I just replaced the wrap around farmers porch roof, new felt paper, ice and water barrier were it joins the house, new fascia boards, caulked and sealed. I used roll roofing with sealing asphalt. I'm confident the leak is not the porch roof. It's 2/12 by the way. Rained heavy last night and still a small leak, not as bad as it was. It was leaking near the door frame, before it was the ceiling above the door but near the outer wall.There are two windows on the second floor but both are 8 feet away and the third floor has a double window dead center, probably 20 feet up. The house has two layers of shake shingles. I think the water in running down the the sheathing. How do I find it? Should I caulk the windows? I can't believe water could get behind a double layer of shingles on the straight faced side of the house. Help!

Old 10-25-05, 07:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,101 Upvotes on 1,881 Posts
Your leak could be anywhere. I have seen leaks in the roof over the third floor appear in the ceiling on the first floor 10 feet to the side of the leak. Don't limit yourself to looking close to where you see the leak.

Water can travel a long way on the bottom of the roof, rafter or beam. The surface tension of the water can hold it to the bottom of a beam allowing it to flow a long way before it finally drops.

I always suspect a shallow pitched roof like your 2:12. Water can weep and get blown up under shingles and the seams of rolled roofing.

Check all around the windows on your second floor. Make sure there are no gaps or cracks around the trim. Even a small crack or hole can let in a lot of water.

If you have ridge vents I have seen a lot of them leak when it's windy.

When it's nice (not raining). Go outside with the garden hose. Start down low and spray (for a good long time) a specific/small area that you suspect and go inside to see if it's leaking. If not, try the next spot and work your way up the house.

Old 10-26-05, 07:51 AM
Labman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advise, I think my present plan is to focus on the potential leaks with caulk, windows, trim and trial and error approach.
Thanks again.

Old 10-26-05, 07:58 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
It's always an easy way to elimate certain areas by squirting silicone or caulk on potential areas the water may be comming in.

Like the other poster said, it could be a lot of different things and anywere on the roof. Just because it has two layer of shingles doesn't mean it's twice as unlikely to leak. I've seen roofs with five layers of shingles leak in the past.

Does the 2/12 have shingles or flat roofing materials? No shingle manufacturer will warranty shingles if installed on a 2/12 roof. If the 2/12 is flat roofing how does it look and how old is it?

Old 10-26-05, 11:05 PM
Labman
Visiting Guest
No, I think youíre confused by what I wrote, I just finish stripping and replacing the porch roof, using felt paper and ice and water barrier where the porch meets the side of the house. The Ice and water runs behind the fascia board to the bottom of the siding shingles. I caulked the fascia board and trim, used asphalt cement between the overlap seams on the rolled roofing, and ran asphalt from the caulk gun at the base of the fascia and roof material. I'm confident it's not caused by the roof. The 2 layers of shingles are the house siding shingles. The wind and rain are striking the house and penetrating somewhere. I suspect itís above and running down the sheathing behind the shingles.

Old 10-31-05, 06:13 PM
Labman
Visiting Guest
I think I found the leak source, The third floor window sill is rotted badly and seems like the logical entry point with the water running down the inside of the sheathing or shingles to the first floor ceiling tiles. From there it must be traveling a long the joist to the center of the arch between the dinning room and the living room. SO the mystery is revealed, now the other can of worms to address, new windows...possibility of rotted framing not to mention the sheathing....yikes...I better go crank up the money printing machine...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: