leaking roof, need to repair

Old 10-26-05, 05:46 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking roof, need to repair

Good Morning to all. I have a problem that has just shown its head with the last few days of rain. I have a leaf that was dripping onto my new bathroom ceiling. I had to cut into the sheetrock, and I found that the roof has a decent leak around the vent stack for my other bathroom. The real issue is that the sheathing around the stack is discolored black, with white spots, and is very wet. I am guessing that the entire piece will need to be replaced. Is this do-able by myself ? What is the easiest way to get the piece up, since it is in the center of the roof ? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I can post pictures of the damage if needed.

Thanks.

Old 10-26-05, 06:49 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
What kind of vent is it? Since it's in your bathroom I'm guessing it's a plumbing vent which are usually from 2-4 inches in diameter.

The correct way to repair the problem is not as hard as you may think if you are handy with a hammer and saw. Here's a list of things needed prior to getting on the roof for the repair.

1. Bundle of shingles
2. New plumbing vent or whatever vent is leaking
3. Piece of plywood or osb (decking)
4. Tube of tar
5. Tube of clear silicone
6. Circular saw
7. Pry bar
8. Ladder
9. Hammer
10. Roofing nails
11. Small piece of ice and water shield or tar paper
12. Utility knife with hook blades
13. Longer nails

Here's how I would go about fixing your problem. Look at the weather and find a day with a zero change of rain. After you have the things on your list, if you don't have anything it will cost your less then $100 if you buy a cheap saw unless you need a ladder add another $100 for a small cheap ladder.

If you can get in your attic the best way to fix the decking would be to take some longer nails and pound up on the underside of the decking on the inside of the nearest trusses. This way when on the roof you'll know were to start cutting away your shingles. With your hammer and pry bar remove the shingles and vent. You can either remove a section of shingle (3ft) or just a tab if you have three tabs that is. Once you have an area say 2 trusses wide by 2 feet high cut away of shingles and underlayment you can take your saw with the depth set the thickness of the decking and cut in the middle of the trusses on both sides. If your close to a decking line either on the top or bottom area cut to that or if you want less cutting cut out a 4 ft section from top to bottom. Once you have your bad section removed you will know what to cut the new piece at. Remember to measure if you have a pipe running through the decking or a vent. Once you have your piece cut and in place nail it down and cover the decking with an underlayment either felt paper or better yet ice and water shield. Next, shingle around the vent which a two under two over method works best. Remember, since the vent leaked how it was originally installed it may not have been the correct method. Once you've put your new shingles on you may want to consider putting some tar under the shingles going around the vent and silicon on top around the vent.

I know the post is long and looks like a lot of work but it really isn't that hard of a job. The hardest part may be getting an exact cut with the vent hole in the decking. If I was called to do this type of repair I'd charge from $300-500 and it would take from 1-2 hours to repair. If your going to tackle this job feel free to print out this post for instructions and supply list.

Old 10-27-05, 06:24 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dougger, I appreciate all of the info that you provided. I will indeed print out the information and use it.

Below I have listed a link to a photo of the problem area. I tried to just replace the flashing around that plumbing vent, but the photo shows that it did not work.

http://www.lbsr.org/roofleak.JPG

Old 10-27-05, 06:40 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
It looks like you have the old style plumbing vent. You will need to buy a two piece plumbing vent if you haven't already. I'm guessing by the picture that the area this is leaking is not orginal and is on a roof built over a roof? What pitch is the roof were the plumbing vent goes through? If it's very easy to walk on you may want to consider using lots of tar and silicone.

Your welcome for the help glad I could help you with the repair and save your hard earned money!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: