Metal Roof/Gutter questions

Old 10-27-05, 02:41 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Metal Roof/Gutter questions

Hi folks. I need some advice from the experts. I'm a painting contractor who recommended that my current clients replace their 50 yr old, leaky, rusty gutters. I met the estimator/owner along with my client, and made verrry clear that the hose needed careful attention to correct some goofy flashing/drip edge situations. Especially around the large front porch with a metal roof.

Well the gutters were hung, but I have some concerns. First, the pitch is inadequate in a few places-there's an inch of standing water along twenty-odd feet across the front of the porch; the joints are liberally caulked, but with big goopy beads, not smoothed out to assist water flow; and one corner is already leaking.

My biggest concern, though, is how they hung gutters around the metal-roofed porch. The roof, as I assume is standard, has an extra couple of inches of metal which is bent over to form the drip edge. Instead of lifting up the meatal and screwing the gutter hangers into the fascia and then bending the drip edge down over the screws, they screwed all the hangers (and about 50 more screws) directly THROUGH the metal-roof-drip-edge. Seems to me that they just created about a hundred places for water to seep, by capillary action, right into the fascia. Am I wrong? Is this "the only way to do it" as the guy told me after I questioned it? I have pix, but can't find how to post them.

Thanks for your attention. How my clients and I deal with this depends heavily on your 'second opinions.'

Old 10-28-05, 08:40 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Come on, some of you cats must have a thought on this...please?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: