Wet Roof Shingles & Stained Fascia

Old 10-31-05, 07:13 AM
yfct
Visiting Guest
Wet Roof Shingles & Stained Fascia

Hi, I have the following questions:

1) I noticed that in the morning part of my roof looks wet but part not. I think this is due to the overnite moisture condensation in the air. My question is why some area looks wet the other doesn't. Is this a sign of shingle problem where water is retained?

2) Two days after some heavy rain I went up to the roof and notice a trail of water on a few shingles. I pushed the first shingle and saw water came out from the bottom side. Does this mean something?

3) I noticed that there are runs of brown colored stain on the fascia that has the gutter attached to. A friend of mine told me that it's an indicator that water gets in between the shingle and the felt paper. Does this make sense?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Old 10-31-05, 08:27 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1) Too many possibilities. Worst case - your attic isn't properly ventilated and/or insulated, thus heating a part of your roof deck and preventing condensation.

2) Water gets under the shingles somehow. If you can lift the tabs, it means that the shingles haven't sealed properly.

3) Water has rusted out the roofing nails and they are streaking stains.

The fact that you don't have any leaks yet is amazing. I would have a roofer take a hard look at this asap before it gets any worse.

Old 10-31-05, 02:51 PM
yfct
Visiting Guest
Thanks Markiz37 for the input! As a matter of fact, my house has been leaking since the roof is replaced 5 months ago. The roofer is unable to identify the source of the leak and of course blamed on the house. So all the three items listed indicate problem with the roof, right?

Old 10-31-05, 08:31 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hmm

5 month old roof? That's just not enough time for a brand new roof to develop leaks even if there is something wrong with the house I mean, the house would have to be upside down or something... or you'd have to have had a hurricane before the shingles sealed. What exactly is the guy saying that's wrong with the house? Does he have any reputation around your area?

Old 11-01-05, 08:22 AM
yfct
Visiting Guest
Markiz37, he said water must have gotten in from the fascia and it's the way the house was constructed so it's not his fault. He even told me water could travel upward. He also blamed on the window clauking...etc. He came highly recommended by a co-worker. I had a one time minor leak last year and asked him to come take a look. He didn't do anything about the leak but recommended a replacement of the roof siting the shingles were near its end of life. I hired him after 6 months of the minor leak. During that 6 months I had not had another leak. The bottomline is soon after he replaced the roof in April, I start having multiple leaks and serious ones. As I look back at my notes I had called him to report leaks on a monthly basis since. He and his team came a few times and couldn't find the source. What would you suggest me to do at this point? Should I bring in other professionals? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: