Leak from bathroom exhaust fan

Old 10-31-05, 05:54 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak from bathroom exhaust fan

I have a one-storey bungalow and during a windy and rainy night, I discover a slow drip coming from my bathroom exhaust fan. I took the cover off from the exhaust fan and from the bathroom I can see water between the exhaust duct and the ceiling drywall. I have not gone up to the attic to check it out and now the rain has stopped, I'm not sure what to look for.

Is the water coming in from the exhaust vent flashing from the roof? I don't think the wind can blow rain in to the exhaust duct, can it?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Old 11-08-05, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No responses?

You say it is leaking betwen the duct and sheetrock? Wel, I don't know what that means exactly. If it were me, I guess, I would simply take the cover off and see if it is leaking IN the exhaust duct or following the outside of the duct. Look for water stain marks. If water is IN the duct, obviously water IS getting IN the vent. But if its on the outside of the duct, then you have a flashing problem, or, a coincidence that you have a roof leak that is dripping water onto the duct and following it down. An attic inspection may be in order. If you go up there, make sure you don't see daylight emitting from around the venthood flashing. If you do, there is your problem. And...look to see if you see any other spots of light coming in through the underside of your roof.

Last edited by mattison; 11-13-05 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-11-05, 12:19 PM
A
Thanks for your advice. I'll take a peek in the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: