Overlapping Step Flashing

Old 11-12-05, 02:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Overlapping Step Flashing

I just recently finished shingling (my first, and hats off to roofers, this was tough work) and around the skylights, chimney, and along an adjoining wall some of the shingles are lifted due to the step flashing beneath them. Is this something that needs to be remedied?

The roof is 6:12 slope. The old shingles were torn off. A 15lb felt was used and folded up the adjoining structures just beyond the height of the flashing. The skylight flashing was tacked to the skylight and the chimney flash to the roof, each with a single nail. I reused the flashing along the wall, which I did not nail in place. No ice and water shield was used.

Thanks for any help. I'm going now for some bourbon, a cigar, and some aspirin.

Old 11-15-05, 06:19 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
You can nail the step flashings down if you like as long as it is about 4" from the vertical wall. Put a bead of calk on the nail head if you feel better.

Old 11-15-05, 07:25 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
More than likely your lifting issue is comming from the fact that you didn't nail down the re-used flashing, or that the shingles were cut too long and don't lay down flat on top of the flashing.

You will either need a hammer and nails, nail gun or hook blade knife to fix this problem!

Old 11-17-05, 06:51 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Dougger and Lowongas, but I'm not sure from your responses how important it is to get shingles and flashing flat. I can imagine windblown rain easily getting up under on a 6:12 slope, but not sure if it will get past the adhesive strip. Many of the old shingles that were stripped off still had the plastic strips intact, which I presumed would have melted over the 15 plus years of use.

I'm fairly certain that the length of the shingle is not the issue. There is a small gap between some shingles and the verticals where the raised effect is occurring.

I believe that it is caused by a see-saw effect due to the alignment of the flashing with the shingle beneath. When I layed the flashing it was level, but overlapped the top of the shingle and lays partially on the decking. When the next course was nailed down, it pushed down the top edge of the flashing to the decking and slightly lifted the bottom... which in turn raised the tab on top. Not sure if this is improper installation. The How-to Manuals I've read mention stair stepping up the slope and leave it at that. They don't elaborate on alignment. I assumed that the flashing should not exceed, but come very close to the edge of the shingle that covers it so that it is not visible. I'm thinking of trying a bead of roofing cement to hold things flat, running from ridge to rake so no water is trapped.

More guidance would be much appreciated.

Old 11-17-05, 08:38 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
When you tore off the shingles were there nails in the flashing on the wall? If there were no nails used on the wall side perhaps when you nailed the shingles tins back down they were pulled away from the wall making them look lifted up. Or you need more nails to lay them flat or your shingles again are cut too close the metal. Try some good roof tar and if you feel the need run a bean of silicone along the tin course from top to bottom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: