Leak around basement door

Old 11-12-05, 07:33 PM
derrickb
Visiting Guest
Leak around basement door

On the first level of my townhouse, water seeps in through the caulking of the patio door whenever it rains. I post pictures at the url: http://photos.yahoo.com/derrickgt

And I've just moved into the place so I do not know how long this has been going on. My guess is that the water is getting inside of the vinyl siding outside. Is having water inside of the vinyl siding normal? Does anyone know how this could be fixed? Would recaulking around the door fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-14-05, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Caulking will not fix this problem.

You have water getting behind your vinyl siding higher up than the door, and the door is just where the water is showing up. Since you have a deck above the door, it's likely that the deck ledger is not flashed above and below the ledger. If there are any vertical j-channels above the deck (around doors or windows) they could also be an entry point for water. It's also likely that the nailing fin of your patio door is not sealed and flashed properly.

The only way to fix this problem is to remove the vinyl siding from around the door and deck ledger and look for signs of water infiltration. If you have building paper behind the vinyl siding, adding flashings along with peel and stick membranes (like Grace Vycor or Tyvek Straightflash) would certainly be part of the solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: