flat roof question

Old 11-15-05, 11:18 PM
chrisds
Visiting Guest
flat roof question

I am new to this forum, lot of great info.
I am in the process on replacing my over 20 year old hot mop roof which is starting to leak, but patched it for the time being. House is an old spanish style flat roof about 1000sf with a slight pitch to the drain.
I got a few estimates to remove and install eather another hotmop or torch down roof. My question is how hard is it to remove the old roof and what tools do I need, because this will bring down the cost to almost half, or should I let the roofer do it. Also as for a torch down install is this something I should be worryed about or is it safe, roofer claims to have 20 years experience.
Thanks,

Old 11-16-05, 03:37 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
You can buy a tearoff tool at your nearest shingle supply co.
It is not hard to tear off the old roof, however you may have to cut squares in the old roofing material to handle smaller pieces.
I have done a lot of torch down and believe it is a good product. I don't use it anymore for insurance reasons and I now use a better product called EPDM.
A little more expensive, time consuming and more training is necessary.
Be comfortable with torchdown, it's good.

Old 11-27-05, 04:11 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Flat roof repair

I also have a flat roof, (garage) that has two leaks in it. I dont want to spend a lot of money on this roof, as the house will probably be torn down in 4 years. I would like to spot repair these leaks properly though. Im thinking that I have to cut the old rolled roofing out, saw out the damaged plywood, and replace both. Is cutting a new piece of rolled the same size as the one I cut out, and then covering that with a larger piece with some black roofing compound the right way to do this?

Old 11-27-05, 05:53 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
Roll roofing is not the right product for a flat roof. Outside of putting on a new proper roofing material I suppose your idea might work temp.
Use plenty of tar and try to be sure water doesn't run under your patch.
Good Luck!

Old 11-27-05, 06:04 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Flat roof

Originally Posted by Lowongas
Roll roofing is not the right product for a flat roof. Outside of putting on a new proper roofing material I suppose your idea might work temp.
Use plenty of tar and try to be sure water doesn't run under your patch.
Good Luck!
I had a rubber materal roof put on the house part of the roof (we skipped the garage at that time) about ten years ago, (it also has a flat (inverted V) roof. Im assuming that was the proper material you are referring to?

Old 11-28-05, 05:13 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
That's it. Torch down roofing does come in a granulated surfase and can look like rool roofing but is far from it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: