cutting metal roofing??

Old 11-27-05, 07:42 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cutting metal roofing??

i have to put on a new roof so i decided why not go ahead and pay xtra and replace shingles with a metal roof.what do contractors use to cut the metal sheets??? or will i have to rent a tool that will cut it smooth? any info would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-05, 08:00 AM
rickhannah
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up cutting metal roofing

If your cutting 26-29 gage metal your can use a nice (high quality) pair of hand shears (straight bills) make sure their spring loaded (the stay open kind) if you use those loop hand Wiss scissor types, you'll get one heck of blister. I would also recommend taking good measurements of the running length of the sheets so that there will very little cutting necessary anyway. Note, your ridge cap should be good for plus or minus 3 inches if you screw something up or if your house is out-of-square. HOWEVER, if you have to do a lot of cutting, say maybe you've got several dormers and valleys to contend with. Then this is what I normally use, I use a strong circular saw with a carbide blade. I use one with more than 24 teeth and I prefer a thin blade. The one use is called a Diablo and is "seems" to be only about half as thick as a regular ripping blade. I don't know if anyone else use this method to cut their metal, some guys have elaborate electric shears but I didn't feel the need to purchase these. I only do a 10 houses a year in metal. It just quite hasn't caught on here in Tennessee yet. ( At least in my area) and anyway you just can bid jobs around here anymore and compete with contractors who don't carry insurance and have undocumented workers. Sorry, I digress, back to the saw blade, YOU HAD BETTER BE A TOUGH GUY BECAUSE IT CAN GET HAIRY. Running a carbide skil-saw blade through metal roofing is quite an experience. But it makes a clean cut. IF YOU USE AN ABRASIVE BLADE, IT WILL HEAT THE PAINT ON EITHER SIDE OF THE CUT 1 INCH ON EITHER SIDE AND RUST LATER ON DOWN THE ROAD. Most contractors don't even understand this because their gone, gone, gone, after the job. IF YOU DO THIS: SAFETY, WEAR A PAIR OF GOOD GOOGLES... SOME OF THOSE DESERT STORM TYPE OR SNOW-BOARDER TYPE. COVER YOUR HEAD AND NECK UP TOO. THERE ARE GOING TO HOT SHARDS OF MOLTEN METAL FLYING EVERY WHERE. Cut it on the ground, so you can stand over it by the way, you'll only get about 15 cuts from a sawblade. Cover up!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: