condensation problem

Old 11-28-05, 07:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
condensation problem

We have a cape house that we had a new roof put on 2 years ago. It was a complete tear off with a ridge vent installed. there are no eaves or venting there. there is also a 18"x18" vent at each end of the house. Last year we had problems with ice dams building up. A lot worse than it ever was before the new roof. Now this year it has only been cold a few weeks and we got a couple inches of snow which has melted. When I went up in the attic I noticed patches of condensation on the underside of the roof throughout the attic. Enough that in some areas that it has dripped onto things. I didn't notice this last year. I have a feeling that it is a ventilation problem however, where is the next place to vent seeing we don't have eaves. We have never had any problems until the new roof was put on now everything is going wrong. We had this work done through a city home improvement grant and when they built the spec's for the contractor to follow they were pretty thorough with everything. They had a 3o page spec. book that the contractor had to follow and the work was inspected on a regular bases. At the same time all new windows and doors were put on as well as all new vinyl siding. Any thoughts

Old 11-28-05, 05:41 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
Get to the root of the problem. Do you run a humidifier on your furnace?
Are your heat ducts under your house in your crawl space, where do you live and how high is your water table. I often have seen condensation on vents.
You must reduce your humidity in your home.

Old 12-01-05, 07:57 AM
S
Sometimes if there's no other options you can just install some standard AF-50 air vents near the bottom edge of your roof. That will atleast encourage proper air flow. Hopefully they can be installed just on the back side of the roof so they don't stand out like a sore thumb. Also since you already have the 18 inch vents going out the side you could look into an attic fan to encourage air flow as well.

Last edited by Shawn_S; 12-01-05 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 01:53 PM
P
Where are the ice dams forming if you have no eaves? Why was a ridge vent put in with this roof if there is no air getting to it? How many layers did you have when you had the old roof?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: