Roofing and Attaching a Shade Porch

Old 11-28-05, 10:36 AM
SoreThumbScott
Visiting Guest
Roofing and Attaching a Shade Porch

I did a pretty exausting search, but I guess this isn't too common. Our house has a free standing shade structure off the back door. It sits on a concrete pad, sits on 4 X 4 uprights (bolted to concrete brackets) rising 8 ft. high, and utilizes a double 2 X 6 header, covering a 12' by 12' area. Shade consists of 2 X 4's spaning the top 7' on center (?), some of which are warped. Here's the rub: my Father-in-Law (who is co-owner) wants to attach said structure to the stucco outer wall and roof it before the rainy season. He wants to pitch the top, underlay and shingle (asphault) up to the stucco, basically sealing the flashing directly to the stucco. There is some arguement on the size of the ledger board or if we even need to use one. He thinks it would be ok to pitch the thing by detaching the headers on the house side and nailing them back higher. We also disagree on what size stringers to use. I want to do it right so we don't do it over again. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-05, 05:35 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
I don't recommend just raising the existing connection at your house.
Your plumb cuts and seat cuts will be off. Your rafters will be short unless you bring in your header. New rafters would be best if you want raise your pitch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: