Rubber Glaze on Shingle Roof

Old 11-29-05, 09:03 AM
chaim13
Visiting Guest
Rubber Glaze on Shingle Roof

I have a semi attached house with a M shaped shingle roof. We developed leaks from the rain on the wall that is between the 2 homes. One Roofer I called wanted to replace both roofs (mine and the neighbors). We had a second roofer coming and he said he will rubber glaze the entire roof for about $3000. He will give us a 10 Year Warranty. Did anyone hear of such a method of repairing a roof?
Thank you,

Old 11-29-05, 06:22 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
I have never heard of rubber glazong a roof.
If I were to do the job I would at least take off 3' each side of the M connection. Lay a continous piece of rubber 5' x the length of the connect.
Then bring the shingle back down about 2' or so onto the rubber leaving a 1' open valley. Keep your nails as high from the center of the valley as you can.
This is a repair. On a complete roof job use the same valley method.

Old 11-29-05, 06:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds similar to "snake oil" ...$3K ...wow
But seriously, what kind of roof is there now. Shingles? steep slope? low slope?
If shingles with a common valley between then the repair previously mentioned which involves replacing the common valley, would be a legitimate course of action.
However,
The other roofers wish to replace both, may suggest that the existing roof(s) are too far gone to attempt to repair and acheive a clean tie-in of the new to old work. Old worn out shingles tend to crumble or break instead of cut, and can be difficult to make a leak free tie-in.
Get a third opinion or even fourth until you get 2 or 3 that suggest a similar scope of work...then negotiate a deal.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: