How do I repair shingles from bottom up?

Old 12-02-05, 08:22 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question How do I repair shingles from bottom up?

We're adding a small extension to the house that will rise vertically past the roof line and then have its own roof. To go past the roofline the eave will be cut off. That means that the existing roof will now end at the vertical rise. Obviously that needs to be flashed and repaired so that no water can get in. Since the roof is asphalt shingles less than 10 yrs. old I don't want to change it. It's also over the original 40 yr. old asphalt shingles.

How do I take up some rows of both layers of shingles to flash the area and then replace the shingles working back down to the vertical rise and the existing gutter? Essentially repairing from the bottom up.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-05-05, 04:33 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
I am having a hard time picturing what you are doing.
Are you creating valleys? tying in like a shed roof? Low pitch into a steep?
Can you link me to a picture?

Old 12-12-05, 06:33 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We're going to add a small extension with a vertical wall that rises past the bottom of the existing roof. It will be as if the current wall is continuous from the ground to above the current roof line - like a second story of a split level is. That will be achieved by cutting off the the eave in this area.

The existing roof will then essentially slope down to this wall, so the wall will have to be flashed in under the old roof to prevent water entry. The question is, how do I work back from the bottom of the roof to get the flashing under and shingles replaced, flush to the new wall extension.

Old 12-13-05, 05:13 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry, Maybe I have a mental block or something.
I've been a roofing contractor for 25 yrs and would like to help you.
I'll need a 8 X 10 glossy photo with the circles and the arrows and a paragraph at the bottom of the picture. A digital camera and an attachment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: