Roof Leak - Hurricane Wilma

Old 12-04-05, 11:56 PM
jimenter
Visiting Guest
Roof Leak - Hurricane Wilma

Have some water stains inside on the walls (corners and ceiling) following damage to some ridge tiles on my roof during Huricane Wilma.
It appears from the visual from the ground 2-3 tiles broken at the start of the ridge (from falling tiles from 2 storey town house next door whose wall is fixed with mine) and a couple of ridge tiles moved around.
Could this have caused the stains on the inside walls and ceiling?
Would rearranging and replacing broken ridge tiles solve the problem?
The stains are in the closets and surrounding areas. I was told the water travels from the ridge to the lowest point.
Any suggestions and pointers would be greatly appreciated. I am not a handyman so,please explain when you guys are talking about flashing, etc.
What is that in simple English?
Thanks

Old 12-05-05, 10:47 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I have posted inquiry about roofing as well with no response, seems very low traffic here. So I will try to answer what I can but bear in mind I am not a roofing professional, I am here looking for answers too.

If you have water stains in your ceiling, it may or may not be a leak. The tiles are supposed to just diverted water off your tar covering underneath. Missing a couple of roof tiles should not cause a leak. What it could be that when Wilma hit, the wind was so strong and the rain so much that it hits at almost impossible angles. If you have a turbine or soffit vents up there, the driving rain can get in there and land on your ceiling. The only way to really find out is to get up to the attic with a flash light and check out the situation up there, is there water stains on the underside of the roof, and follow that.

You can also get a professional to check it out. But good luck. They told me roof tiles (not shingles) are back ordered for one year and no one will apparently go out to do repair when they cannot fill enough calls to do complete roof replacement.

MC

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: