What is this thing on the roof?

Old 12-11-05, 04:30 PM
gojira
Visiting Guest
What is this thing on the roof?

Hey,
My wife and I have been looking for a new house and have found one that we're interested in located in Orlando. However, it has two of these on the roof. The owner is just flipping the property and doesn't know what they are nor does our realtor. Any guesses? They're about 4ft long and 1.5 ft tall and look for all the world like giant door stops. Thanks.

Old 12-14-05, 03:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can't tell from photo what material they are made of. Wood? Looks like cloth??? Obviously some type of platform, level to the roof. Is it hollow? Does it gointo the attic or house? Any louvers or grills?
Jim

Old 12-14-05, 04:22 PM
gojira
Visiting Guest
It's some kind of sheet metal. We had the house inspected and the inspector couldn't tell what it was either. Once I got up there, I could see that it has flashing around the sides and the shingles only cover part of them. Where the flashing isn't covered with shingle, you can see inside it slightly and there appears to be another smaller sheet metal box inside it. From within the attic, there is nothing that would indicate that they are going into anything internal. There are two of them but they are a good 15 ft apart.

Old 12-15-05, 09:56 AM
J
So, they couldn't be for swamp coolers? They don't go through the roof deck?
Jim

Old 12-15-05, 10:01 AM
I know I'm stumped. Maybe they are stands for Christmas decorations to stand on. Or a deer stand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: