water leakage

Old 12-20-05, 08:52 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water leakage

I had a new roof installed in April of this year, it was a complete tear off. Living in Chicago we are having some brutally cold weather the past week hovering around 0 degrees at night. The other night I noticed water forming on my kitchen ceiling and after walking through the house found that this was occuring in many of the rooms ceilings only on the outside wall of the room. I had the "GAF" leak barrier ice /water shield installed around the eaves of the house per city code. The water seapage has stopped but I'm concerned as to what has caused this in the first place. Pleae advise.

Old 12-21-05, 12:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two things come to mind:

1. You will need to take a look in your attic to determine where the water is coming from. Since you mentioned that it seems to be limited to outside walls, it is possible that the moisture gained entry from much higher on the roof - like the ridge area. During very low temperatures combined with high winds, it is possible that some shingles lifted enough to allow moisture in at the ridge, and then it ran down the rafters.

2. The moisture is condensation, created from inadequate insulation and/or moisture barrier. Again, check your attic and make sure the insulation is properly installed.

Best wishes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: