chimney flashing repair

Old 12-24-05, 01:43 AM
washdiyer
Visiting Guest
chimney flashing repair

We just discovered a leak at our chimney flashing. It's a slow drip, so we've got a bucket there. Any advice on repairing timelime? We live in an area with snow/rain now until March or April. Does anyone know if we have to wait until the wood has completely dried out before we can repair the flashing, and leak? And, does that mean waiting until springtime? And if we have to wait, any helpful suggestions of what to do in the meantime would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, & Merry Christmas.

washdiyer

Old 12-24-05, 04:28 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
Shingles do get brittle in the cold. If the area in question is clear of snow and ice, 30 degree weather should be fine. A quick temp. fix depends on size and location of your chimney, also if it has saddle behind it.

Old 12-26-05, 08:03 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove snow & ice. Check the seal along the tops of the metal flashing and add caulk as needed. Re-flash the area correctly in the Spring.Jim

Old 12-29-05, 08:20 AM
washdiyer
Visiting Guest
Thanks, we'll try these suggestions, and continue to monitor it, 'til we can fix it in the spring.

Old 01-11-06, 07:50 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question same problem, I had a suggestion of applying tar?

I had just bought this house built in '39. The owner reported that the chimney's were inspected however, after discovering water marks in a closest, found that the insulation in a crawlspace was dripping and moldy. I had a roof estimate done prior to buying and the contractor mentioned there was no flashing around the chimney. How can an I, an unprofessional and rooky tell? I had asked a friend who seems to be a savy to it yourself-er but he recommended doing what they did and surrouding the chimney base with tar and eventually getting flashing installed and replacing shingles. Much like the original individual, I live in Ohio where there is sure to be some stagnant ice/snow and water. How difficult is it to install flashing and is it worth doing if I know eventually I will have to re-roof?

Old 01-11-06, 06:42 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
Install new flashings when you get the new roof unless your not going to roof your house for a couple years. A proper chimney flashing job should run around $300 to $500 depending on the size of your chimney.
You will save this cost if you have it done with the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: