flat roof construction! How are old flat roofs made?

Old 12-27-05, 01:27 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flat roof construction! How are old flat roofs made?

I have recently purchased an older row-home (1900s) with a flat roof. I had the roof inspected when i purchased it and they told me it should be good for 2 years and have had the house for six months and no leaks .. yesterday, some contractor guy working on the house next to mine, told the owner that my roof had a hole in it .. i am thinking how could i have a hole but no leak! becasue i am not living in the house (an investment property), i have not had a chance to drive up and take a look .. anyway, i am not sure how these older flat roofs are made .. is it possible to put a hole in the roof by walking on it? I am thinking maybe ny neighbor's contractors did something stupid while they were working on their house .. i have seen them walking on my roof while working on theirs .. how hard is it to damage a flat roof? .. also, assuming i go there tomorrow and see a big hole, how/what is the best way do i fix it .. thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-05, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First off, I would be SURE to go and inspect the "hole". The contractor could have caused it and should be responsible for correcting the damage.
Flat roofs are not much different than sloped roofs except for the angle. You have joists with sheeting over them and then the covering, be it shingles or tar paper with a coating. The sheeting may have been weak and someone (contractor) walking on it, gave way. If this is the situation, you will need to have the sheeting replaced and new coating. I am a fan of the EPDM rubber roofing for flat roofs. In any case, it will not "heal" and you need to take action to prevent even more damage from water leaking in and then having to replace ceilings. Good luck.

Old 12-27-05, 02:06 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply .. when u say sheeting over the joist, u mean wood sheet panels? so let's say they walked on the roof and put a hole the size of a foot .. can i have just that spot fixed or do i need to remove the whole roof (sheets and tar) and fix the whole thing ... i have seen a lot of roof-fixing materials in home-depot but never had to deal with a bad roof so not sure what is out there . .i am thinking there must be a quick and permanent solution for a small size hole. I am not in a position (financially) to change the whole roof. thanks.

Old 12-27-05, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You MAY be able to go into the attic of the house and install a piece of plywood with screws to cover the hole and then patch the exterior hole. Be aware, if one area is weak, it's likely that more areas are also. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: