Caulk--Different types

Old 12-27-05, 08:47 PM
chaim13
Visiting Guest
Caulk--Different types

What is the difference between "Acrylic Latex Caulk" and "Vinyl Adhesive Caulk"?
Thank you

Old 12-28-05, 02:03 AM
samiam
Visiting Guest
I know acrylic latex is paintable, one thing to remember is silicone based caulks are not. If you use them inside, say on a door jamb or window frame, then paint the room, the paint will peel right off. Other than that, I've forgotten all I learned working a a lumber/home imp store.

Old 12-28-05, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Not sure, but it could be that the the "vinyl adhesive" caulking you are referring to is actually more like glue than caulk. Vinyl cove moulding is often used in commercial applications and is glued to the wall using cove (or vinyl)adhesive.

"Caulking" is not usually used to glue products together, it's used to fill in cracks and expansion joints. The main purpose of adhesives, however, is to bond dissimilar products together, such as PL200 construction adhesive, or Liquid Nails construction adhesive.

So although adhesives come in a tube like caulking does, they are really not "caulks" in the strictest sense of the word... As I understand it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: