Mansard roofs

Old 01-01-06, 09:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mansard roofs

I understand the styling origin and reasoning for a mansard type roofs, it was created in France back in the 1800's and it provides more livable space in the attic. I'm curious to know can the roofing material be removed for the side and use conventional aluminum siding instead.

Take a look at this pic, as you can see the bonus room above the garage as a mansard type roof, I think the roofing material on the side has to go or can it be reomved? Is it a functional part of a mansard roof? What I would like to do is remove the roofing material on the side where the domers are (and on the opposite side) and continue with the aluminum siding all the way around.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...700_1_full.jpg

Old 01-01-06, 09:18 PM
M
Not a Mansard Roof

What you have is NOT a mansard roof.

It is a gambrel roof.

The shingles must stay as they are an integral part of the roof covering and aluminum siding is not really intended to be installed on other than vertical surfaces.

What you have is properly designed and installed and needs to stay.

Old 01-02-06, 06:52 AM
C
Originally Posted by manhattan42
What you have is NOT a mansard roof. It is a gambrel roof. The shingles must stay as they are an integral part of the roof covering and aluminum siding is not really intended to be installed on other than vertical surfaces. What you have is properly designed and installed and needs to stay.

Thanks for the input, I'm no pro but are you looking at the bonus room above the garage or the roof over the house? According to this link, that's a mansard roof over the bonus room and the gable roof over house.

http://www.roofhelper.com/typesofroofs.htm

Old 01-02-06, 09:36 AM
K
manhattan is right, it's a gambrel roof. Your house is a gable roof.

Look at the side of the garage with the garage doors. If it was a mansard there would be roof shingles going up this side just like the side with the dormers, no vinyl siding.

A gambrel is basically a gable roof with two different pitches, a gentle upper slope and a steep lower one.
A mansard is like a hip roof with two different pitches.

With either, the steeply pitched lower portion is part of the roof, not a wall, and needs to be covered with suitable roofing materials.

Old 01-02-06, 01:45 PM
C
Point taken, thanks

Old 01-09-06, 07:28 AM
I
Then what's the difference between an Mansard Roof and a Gable Roof?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: