Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Can I cover rooftop (ventilation?) pipes with mesh? Critter visiting

Old 01-02-06, 10:21 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have five or six pipes that come out of the roof, I know one was a kitchen exhaust for the stove, but what are the others? Are they ventilation? Do the run to the crawl space? I have a critter in my attic and once I trap and remove it I want to close off all possible entrances. Can I cover these with some type of mesh screen to keep critters from returning?

Last edited by Stumped1; 01-02-06 at 10:21 PM. Reason: clarify title
Old 01-03-06, 07:38 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I can't see the pipes so I cannot tell you what all of them are. You should have vent pipe(s) coming out of the roof for the plumbing system, however, there should be no way for a critter to get out of those pipes and into your attic as this is a "closed" system. I would suggest you check in the attic for other holes that the critter may have entered through. Especially around the eaves. Good luck.

Old 01-06-06, 02:25 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A few years ago we had similar critter problems, and after checking it out we decided it had entered through the roof vent for a bathroom fan. After the visitor was removed, our roofer put wire mesh (maybe 1/2-inch squares) around each of the exhaust vents up there. No trouble since.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: