waterproofing outside

Old 01-14-06, 11:32 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
waterproofing outside

I just got french drains installed in my house, however I would like to take some preactive steps to even help some more. I was thinking of digging a trench not to deep with a pitch away from the house with perferated pvc pipe. I was gonna fill the hole with gravel then run the gravel up to the house on a pitch. My thought is that the water will flow down from the house to the pipe and then taken away from the house. I do not want to have to dig six feet down to get to the bottom of the house to install exerior french drains. If anyone has any input on this or thinks this is not a good idea or anyone that has any suggestions or has done this I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

Old 01-14-06, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Plastic joints in concrete - removing them

Before you dig and put in additional drains make sure your drainage around the house is correct and that you have downspout extensions that are long enough.

A shallow drain can backfire on you and drain water back toward the house during periods of heavy rain.

The purpose of the downspout extension is carry the water out beyond the area excavated for the swimming pool your house and basement were built in. Usually this is from 2 to 8 feet out depending on the soil type and the quality of the contractor. At some point there was probably a much wider area excavated to provide access/exit to the basement for the excavator, equipment, etc. the backfill placed is never compacted as well as the undisturbed soil, so water can flow into and through it. If you have a heavy soil, a short extension will just dump water back into the swimming pool.

Your interior drains should do the job as long as you don't feed extra water into the basement area with a too short extension.

If you have an ongoing problem you can always put a shallow drain in later.

Dick

Old 01-15-06, 12:01 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

The spouts are about 2ft away from the house. It seems that only one corner gets hit. I saw tonight after a lot of rain and snow that the corner is wet down by the bottom where the footing meets the wall. When they installed the french drains inside they left the one inch floating gap so that water runs down to the drain anyway. It is not pouring in, it just seems to be damp at that corner where the footing meets the cinderblock wall. Will that wetness down where they meet damage the wall long term? I am gonna take your advise and not do the drains, but I was thinking is pebbles or rocks better than soid to lay down up against the foundation and make a pitch away from the house?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: