Only leaks when rain and winds are very heavy

Old 01-15-06, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Only leaks when rain and winds are very heavy

I lived on the Oregon coast. I have a shake roof that has held up remarkably for 18 years. I have had it coated once and have had all shakes renailed last year.

The only problems I have had have been on two occasions. Once there were 70 mph winds and heavy rain. Some water dripped down from my wood stove pipe. I wiped it up, hasn't happened since (2 yrs. ago).

This winter, same winds/rain (always practically horizontal) caused a drip at a corner of my skylight. Filled a pot 1/3 deep and then that was it.

Are these flukes that I can ignore, or should I be on the job doing something about them.

Thanks, phyllis

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-06, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
as for your chimmeny i would place a rain cap
and check all around the chimmeny for caulking
same for skylight check if there any step flasing and is it cauld good

good seal will not leak period

Old 01-22-06, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
I would always fix a water leak. If it is happening only on very windy days means your task will be a bit more difficult since the water can be blown uphill or around corners. Since it only happens when it's really windy I would not rush right up there... I'd wait for a nice day when there is nothing better to do.

Old 01-23-06, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not all leaks can/should be fixed...

Since sloping roofs are designed to shed water (as opposed to be absolutely water-proof), it is not unusual to have some entry points that are only reached by water when the volume is high and the wind is strong. However, the fix for this "problem" may be much more expensive and involved than putting up with the problem. If it's only twice in 18 years, I'd suggest you let it go. However, if the weather trends change so the "exceptional" conditions become the norm, then you probably have no choice but to reroof since I suspect there may be many such "hidden" entry points.

On the other hand, if the leak is persistent, then it definitely needs to be fixed.