Color variation in new roof question

Old 01-18-06, 03:36 AM
fixitladdy
Visiting Guest
Question Color variation in new roof question

Had new roof installed and there seems to be a slight color change from one section of the roof to another. It is about 1/2 of one side of the roof( in a triangular shape from the gutter to the peak). It is only noticeable during some light conditions, and when it is dry.

1.Should I have them replace it or not? They are arch. style shingles. I am concerned if the house was sold, would an inspector see it as a problem?

2. Should I get manufacturer involved? Can there be that much of a difference in lot #'s ? or could these be old shingles? or will this discoloration fade after a while?

Old 01-18-06, 07:27 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixitladdy
Had new roof installed and there seems to be a slight color change from one section of the roof to another. It is about 1/2 of one side of the roof( in a triangular shape from the gutter to the peak). It is only noticeable during some light conditions, and when it is dry.

1.Should I have them replace it or not? They are arch. style shingles. I am concerned if the house was sold, would an inspector see it as a problem?

2. Should I get manufacturer involved? Can there be that much of a difference in lot #'s ? or could these be old shingles? or will this discoloration fade after a while?

The shingles are fine. No Inspector would tell you otherwise. The manufacturer will tell you color variation is normal and is stated so on the shingle wrappers. Itís completely normal.

Now with that said...maybe the roofer that did the roof could have mixed a few bundles to vary the variation ( if that makes sense). But its not always that easy. When your installing the shingles your sitting right on top of them and its often difficult to see color variation up so close.
So, Sorry to say your going to be stuck with it unless you want to pay to fix it.

Good Luck

Old 01-18-06, 08:04 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
the roofer and the vendor should have checked the lot numbers on the product. same color number with different lot numbers should either not have been sent to one job, or blended as noted above. i would call the roofer first, let him talk to the vendor. follow up with a letter to both mentioning your concern and any comment made by both parties. along with the comments of the roofer and vendor include in your letter your willingness to allow a reasonable amount of time for color change. get the situation on the table now incase you're not happy down the road. it's not a structural or safety issue. good luck

Old 01-18-06, 08:18 AM
fixitladdy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies, the roofer has already agreed to cut the price in half. And otherwise he has done a good job.

I agree,that when they are on the roof laying the shingles they cannot tell the difference. And again, it is not a major color variation only slight.

I think I am more concerned about the resale value of the home. Would a potential homeowner's inspector question something like this?

Will the shingle color fade a bit in time? It is charcoal in color?

Old 01-18-06, 07:27 PM
In a year from now I doubt if you could even tell. It is not something to lose sleep over.

Old 01-21-06, 10:01 AM
If you can tell the difference while standing on the roof, and whether it's sunny or not, then it is most likely a granule issue and most likely will not go away. You should call the manufacturer if you would like them to address it. Yes, a certain amount of color variation is acceptable to the manufacturer, but if it is very noticable and would affect the value of your home, then they should correct it.

If you can only see it from the ground, and only at certain times of day, then it is most likely excess oils that are used to keep the shingles from sticking together. The sun reflects off of this and makes the shingles look different in different light. It will wash away over time with sun and rain and you will have no problem.

Either way, it is most likely just an aesthetic issue and should not affect the performance of the shingle.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: