Leaking Crawlspace

Old 01-18-06, 02:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking Crawlspace

Hello,

I was planning on waterproofing my crawlspace (From the outside). The house is on a grade which slopes from North --> South. Every time it rains water collects on the south side of the crawlspace against the foundation wall. I was planning on doing the following:

a) Dig a trench around the perimeter (Probably use a Ditch Witch - I believe the the footings are no more than 5 feet deep. Is it safe to use a Ditch Witch close to the foundation?) upto the footings.

b) Lay perforated pipes along the foundation covered with a sleeve.

c) Stucco the wall, then use Bituthene Waterproofing membrane. Before putting the gravel into the trench, put a form board against the wall and then fill te trench with gravel.

d) Backfill it with Mud.

Do I have to use landscapers fabric before I throw mud on top of the gravel. Any ideas/comments appreciated. Thanks.

Sshel

Old 01-18-06, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Leaking Crawlspace

Definitely put landscape fabric around the rock or use a well graded sand to prevent the fines from washing into the drainage pipe.

Run the perforated drain pipe to a sump out out to daylight where the water can drain away.

Do not cover the rock with mud. Use a good backfill.

Before you do any of the above, make sure you have done the easiest, most positive and cheapest thing - have gutter extensions that carry the water out beyond the "swimming pool" that was dug by the contractor before he put a foundation in it. Then, shape your drainage to prevent water from running toward the house. Letting water run up to a wall does not make sense.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: