Seeking Mold and Mildew Prevention advice!

Old 01-19-06, 01:11 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seeking Mold and Mildew Prevention advice!

I had a water leak underneath my hardwood floor house that I recently discovered and fixed. However, the leak was spraying water underneath the flooring of my house causing the hardwood floors to ripplie in the living room, dining room areas and making the entry door and side doors difficult to open and close. I plan to refinish the floors in due course, however, I would like to prevent any mildew and mold growth underneath the flooring and needed advice on which product to use to fix the problem - please advice - thanks...babu

Old 01-19-06, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
There are 3 ways to prevent mold growth. 1). Take away the oxygen. 2). Take away the food source. 3). Take away the moisture.

Since #1 and #2 are not possible, that leaves #3, which IS possible. Mold will generally not grow anywhere the humidity is less than 60%. The best thing you could do is run fans and a dehumidifier constantly to remove moisture and to circulate the air. If the water damage is extensive, you may want to rent a larger industrial dryer/dehumidifier.

Drying the wood with the help of a humidifier and circulating the air until it the wood is completely dry will prevent mold growth.

If you currently do not notice any mold growth, do not take any steps to wash your floors or subflooring. All that would do is add moisture to the floor boards which would be counterproductive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: