Ceiling wet after snow fall

Old 01-25-06, 02:40 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling wet after snow fall

Our house is 1 year old and still under the builder's warranty for another year. After some heavy snowfall in the winter of 2005, I smelled mold in an upstairs bedroom. Within a month, I noticed a very small (1/2 inch) dark area on the wall where it meets the ceiling. We received a lot of rain in last Spring during which my builder and a building inspector checked out the attic. Both said everything was dry, including the drywall. This year, we got a lot of snow in the beginning of December, the mold smell returned then we got rain and I noticed an actual brown water spot on the ceiling and wall in the same area where I saw the dark spot in 2005. The builder returned during the rain and said everything in the attic was dry and I should just forget about it and paint over the spot with a Kilz type of barrier paint. What should I do?

Old 01-25-06, 05:37 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wet spots...

OK, he said it was dry, but did YOU go up with him and check? Brown spots usually mean water has soaked wood and is leaching tannin. Do you have a vapour barrier behind the drywall? If not, why not? If yes then how is the water getting to the drywall?

If you smelled mold, then you have persistent moisture, and the brown spot is telling you that it is coming through enough wood to dissolve the tannin. You have to tell them that they have to explain how that brown spot is getting there, and no more BS. Putting a barrier paint will prevent the water that's soaking into the drywall from the back from being visible to you, until the drywall deteriorates to the point that it breaks down. Absolutely, you need an knowledgeable building inspector NOT affiliated with the builder to do the sleuthing and figure out what is actually happening. And don't be afraid of following them up into the attic with a flashlight and having a good look around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: